About 10 years ago I hit a doe in the Richard Droerer Hardwoods in SE Minnesota. Low double lung shot with a .50 cal round ball. She bolted into a hay marsh in the bottoms so I just sat back for 20 minutes. When we went to blood trail her there was a six foot wide swath of aspirated blood through the grass. About 150 yards in, she popped up right in front of us and put on another 150 yards at a dead sprint, spraying red mist the whole way. So we hung back for another 20 minutes. When we crept up on her she was still wheezing and I had to put a finshing shot in her. When she was dressed out it was a total mess, the near rib had been broken and pushed fragments into the lung. I should have waited longer for her to bleed out.
All that being said, I have seen poor hits drop deer dead in their tracks and great shots that let deer run for miles (I'll save the tale for my dad's heart-shot Ten Mile Buck for another day)

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus