Scott: Yes, I've done similar drills to what JG does,but I'm older now than I was 10-20 years ago,so don't do the sprinting anymore,but used to jog down and back from the butts to the 200-300 yard lines to check targets,instead of using a spotting scope,and shot groups when winded.I killed my biggest mule deer in Colorado by running after him,uphill,through scrubb oak for about 150 yards,just to get a crack at him.I got lucky that day.

But I do shoot offhand a good deal just to reinforce in my mind how bad I am at it.I do this with a 22,a 223,and then up to everything including the 375.

If I'm alone at the range and waiting for barrels to cool,(with an empty rifle)I wll practice snapping the rifle to my shoulder and picking up flying birds,swinging with them,etc.

Like JG,after I'm zeroed at 100,the sand bags go in the trunk and the majority of my shooting at 300,400,and 500 yards is done either from a tight sling, prone,or from a "field prone" like you'd shoot over a log,or pack, in the field. I never use a bipod because I consider them a hindrance and excess baggage,fine for varmint hunting but nuisance on a big game rifle.

I also shoot a lot off hand and from the sit,with and without a tight sling.A lot of the off-hand is done with 3 rounds down and the rifle is operated as fast as I can and still get back on target.Once in a great while, for chuckles, I'll shoot off-hand at 300 yards,which is pretty futile,but entertaining eek

For me, the most effort is expended trying to get accurate shots off quickly from field positions at 300 and under, rather than worry about tiny groups at long range,simply because I know I am far more likely to encounter a big buck,and most other game, at under 300 yards,and he is NOT going to give me a lot of time.

Besides,shooting at stationary targets from solid locked-in positions off benches and bipods is pretty easy once you know the rifle and load.The tough stuff is mastering the various field positions(off-hand,sitting, kneeling,field positions)etc.People avoid this type shooting today because it is harder to be good at than shooting itsy groups off a bench,which many consider to be "practice". It is.....for the rifle.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.