Be waiting where they spend the day or along the route back. Be there every morning as every once in awhile they will go home late.

The elk I mentioned earlier was the same as yours bunch. In the ranchers field every night without fail, but gone well before daylight. We were there every morning as it became light enough to see and it took awhile, but we finally caught them going home late.

We had to, they spent the day on hill tops over looking the valley on private posted land that permission to hunt was impossible to get. A guy could watch them all day with binoculars, if you wanted too, but they might as well have been in another state.

Far as I know that herd is still there but just a fraction of what it was. Thank you Mr Wolf, and all the Greenie SOB's that helped it to happen, as no one even gets permission to hunt on the lower land until the herd recoups, if ever.
Even though I lived there long enough I know where I still have a very good chance of catching one where they can be shot, I don't hunt that bunch anymore. Let them recoup, hopefully.