Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by billrquimby
It seems several of you don't realize that at least a third of Arizona is forested and that only a third of our state's terrain is "desert."
Well for your information I used to live there for several years and I know what the terrain is.
Fact of the matter is all animals need water!

Tom: I didn't mean to get your dander up, and I apologize. Yes, all animals need water, especially in the summer. However, there is a year-around creek that runs through my property, the Little Colorado River is 250 yards away, there is a pond a 1/4 mile away in the canyon above my place, and there are three trout lakes a mile downstream. On top of that, it rains nearly every day during spring and summer up here, and there are pools of water standing in every low place. Our local elk do not have to go far to get a drink. We want to watch elk from our windows in the daytime, but baiting them with water simply wouldn't work.

Red Rabbit: "Our" little herd hangs out in the timber around Badger Pond during the day and crosses our land to reach a meadow across the road where they spend the night along the river. I want them to spend more time on our place during daylight. Give me a call next time you head up to our village, and I'll buy lunch.

All: Thanks for the suggestions. I put out a bale of alfalfa today. If it doesn't work, I'll try molasses and oats. I'll wait a couple of weeks and let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Bill Quimby