I am a certified 33 loonietic, and so have worked with the 338/06 (not the AI) and the 338 WSM and the 338 (as well as a couple of bigger ones).

Personally, for me the short action thingy doesn't do a thing for me. The smallish amount of weight saved and or the bolt throw being a bit shorter doesn't mean anything to me.

The 338/06 feeds like a dream and mine with a 23" tube would do with a 225 about what a 338 would do with the 250. The WSM closes the gap even more.

My WSM feeds well, but having 3 down is a tish bit tight but do able. (M70, Schneider tube cut to 21")

I do like the fact that the 338/06 can handle more rounds down as I don't shoot very well....grin

After years of using the .340 I found the 338/06 to be a welcome and wonderful change. Way more user friendly.

As for shooting at range, any of the 3 can be made to work to 500 yds with no problemo with dotz and or the Burris BP. In my 338/06 I ran the BP and had no problem in sighting it to kill elk to 500 with a 250 Nozler @ 2500 fps.

If I were in your shoes (you already have the dies) and wanted to play a bit with a round then I'd do the AI version. It'll give you plenty of smoke and will be very easy to form cases with.

Best of luck to ya!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy