Nobody hunts with the 7x57. It's just too old, moves bullets too slow, and isn't enough for whitetails, let alone mulies or elk. It might have enough oomph to scare a groundhog, but that's about all I can think it's good for, and it really doesn't have the trajectory to do that effectively either. In fact, those of you who are still using this outdated cartridge should really step-up to a .300 WSM, maybe even a .308 Lazzeroni Warbird. After you buy your new guns that are enough for whitetails, you need to consider at least a .338 Win Mag for elk and put that in your arsenal. The 7x57 just doesn't have it anymore. It used to, but the critters have become immune to its slow, overly long projectiles. After you buy the new rifles, send me the old, worthless 7x57s and I'll make sure that the stocks are used for proper firewood and the steel is recycled. grin

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile