I've often see the "W.D.M. Bell" legend mentioned when the discussion is about the 7x57 (aka "7mm Mauser" & ".275 Rigby"). While the legend is very probably true, that doesn't make the sweet 7x57mm an "elephant cartridge".

Ya see, Bell knew a little "secret" about African elephants... that being that there's a small "channel" between and just above the eyes of an African elephant that is an open channel to the elephant's brain.

Bell put a 7mm bullet into their "channel" and, due to his knowledge and excellent marksmanship, the elephants died instantly.

This doesn't take anything away from Bell, but it does explain how a fine, medium-powered rifle cartridge can instantly kill the largest land animal on earth.

One of my most favorite rifles is my Ruger #1 International (aka "RSI") in 7x57. With a full Mannlacher-style stock, after-market Kepplinger Single Set Trigger and my handloads (50.0 grains of H4350, standard Win. primer & 140 grain Sierra, flat-based ProHunter bullet in "accurized" Remington cartridge cases), it has given me 3-shots groups of .404 inches at 50 yards without any further modification other than allowing the short, relatively thin 20" barrel to cool down to "just warm" between shots.

For extreme accuracy, I've mounted a 4-12x40mm scope on the rifle with an adjustable objective turret to eliminate parallax at all ranges.

Even with this MAXIMUM LOAD intended for MODERN RIFLES ONLY, recoil is not objectionable, but is noticably greater than loads slightly lighter in nature.

What's interesting is that the 7x57 cartridge is one of the (if not "THE") oldest smokeless powder cartridges (along with the 9x19 Parabellum) still being manufactured... dating back to the late 1800's... and it still MORE than holds its own compared to so-called "modern" cartridges like the 7mm-08 which almost (but not quite) duplicates modern loads in the 7x57... and the 7x57 does it at 50,000 CUP ("Copper Units of Pressure") as opposed to almost 54,000 CUP for the 7mm-08.

Every time I take the little Ruger to the rifle range, I "smile" as a shoot it because I realize I've shooting the oldest, still-"modern" rifle cartridges in existance and it still slightly "out-steps" one of the most popular "new" cartridges (the 7mm-08).

To me, it's kinda like a 50 year old fella out-running a 20 year old guy in a sprint or a marathon.

With the right bullets & good handloads (the factory loads are weak), the 7x57 will take any game animal in the new world and most of 'em in Africa (as Bell proved). Of course, with the great bears & any dangerous game (lion, tiger, cape buffalo, etc.), I'd want my guide standing behind me with a .338 Win. Mag. or a .375 H&H Magnum (new world) or at least a .458 Lott (Africa).

Like the .30/06 Springfield, the 7x57mm Mauser cartridge is one that is in the running for the title, "Best all-around medium power cartridge".

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...