There's an interesting division of sorts between those who know what they like and like what they've know, and those who'll try anything once...

I never hunted until I was pushing 30, have since had the chance to hunt upland birds, waterfowl, turkeys, deer, elk and wild pigs. I'll read stories about just about any hunting except quail (too many cliches) and cats (remember, no arguing with taste) and would try just about any of it except maybe big cats.

On the other hand, my hunting buddy up in Maine is a forester and spends the whole year looking forward to chasing big whitetails. They have a 4-week rifle season (Sundays excluded by state law), one buck limit. He's been hunting nearly 30 years and fills his tag about half the time now that he's had some practice. Every few years if they've had a dry spell he and some buddies will spring for a week on Anticosti Island ... little higher success rate there.

I once asked him where else he'd like to hunt if he had the chance -- he said he'd like to go to Saskatchewan and hunt *really* big whitetails.

"How about other than whitetails?" I asked.

"Hmmm," he replied. "Well, I guess I'd like to go to Washington or Oregon and hunt blacktails."

But he still gets Outdoor Life and a couple other mags, and reads articles on anything.

John