Originally Posted by CraigCollier
I'm getting ready to buy a new pair of boots this year. Last year was the first time I had hunted since my dad died so I just used a pair of all leather boots and thick socks. Well, my feet froze, as was expected on a couple of the really cold days.

Anyway, I don't want to spend a lot and I've found several pairs for under $100. However, I don't really know how much Thinsulate to be looking for based on the climate here. 600? 800? 1000? Our modern gun season runs the middle to end of november (basically) and usually it doesn't get THAT cold. I think last year it dipped into the low 30's a couple of days but not more.

I stand hunt and stationary ground hunt, so I need something thats going to keep my feet warm, but I don't want really heavy boots. I'm nearly 300lbs and very short legged so its hard enough tromping around in the woods hahaha.

I wouldn't mind even going a bit lighter on the thinsulate if i needed to and getting a pair of those boot cover things to put on once I was in the stand.

What do you guys use and recommend? I live in the Southern IL/far Western KY area.

any boot under $100 is going to be garbage, don't skimp on the boots, especially being a big guy, I am 6'1 240 and even me being that heavy challenges and puts to test most any boot.

400 gram goretex is a good all around boot, it works ok from about 70 degrees on down to the low teens for me which is 90% of my hunting, I wear 400gram danner frontiers, with a sock adjustment I can makes these boots work for most condidtions, I wear a coolmax sock which is good from warm temps down to the mid 20's a heavy wool sock is my choice below that. keep in mind when its below the mid 20's most of the time I am also trudging through snow. if you don't keep moving your fee will get cold, if I don't plan to move much, see deep snow and or colder temps, I move to my 13" schnee pack boots.