All I'll say is that it's heartening to hear about so many people who don't add fat to their game-burger anymore. As somebody already noted, it isn't necessary to get hamburger patties to hold together while cooking.

I suspect that myth started because so many guys just like to dink around with the meat their grilling. Maybe such activiy makes them feel like to they're doing more than they are, but if you just leave a fat-free elk burger on the grill for a few minutes before turning the dang thing, it will hold together nicely. They only fall apart when somebody feels the burgers have to be turned every few seconds.

I have seen this compulsive dinking-and-turning behavior in a lot of men. I once spent 10 days in an Alaskan moose camp with a cook who, whenever he prepared the fresh salmon we caught from the river, turned the darn fillets every 30 seconds and then SALTED them every time as well. By the time they got to the table they were like salty hocky pucks, but by God he looked busy!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck