I concede the point on how things can get out of hand quickly. However, people in the target areas intially and vocally protested the introduction of wolves and the feds said "screw you, you're getting wolves cuz we know best." Now they're population is expanding beyond all projections and people are doubly annoyed.

The numbers you cite are impressive, but 120 sheep seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom as to wolves killing more than they need. The things I've read from the 19th century regarding wolves seems to indicate that this behavior isn't unusual, just largely buried because it contradicts all of the "information" we've been given about wolves. The fact is that these wolves are great, big, appetites with feet. If they can be managed through hunting, I'm ok with that. But thus far, the wolves are treated as sacred. Makes me wonder what else is in play.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org