Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Sure, Michigan has attempted to maximize the whitetail population to provide an opportunity for outdoorsmen. If we let the wolf population increase to "normal" levels it will be at the cost of the deer. There are fewer wolf hunters than whitetail hunters (who provide the majority of funds for the fish/wildlife programs), so why allow the wolf population to re-establish itself? From a biological standpoint it's wrong to keep the whitetail population high, at the same time wolves will never replace whitetails and what they bring to the table...

If game management is just about money making, perhaps, but I'm not so sure. Meanwhile, do you know the consequences of a ridiculously high whitetail population? How is your hemlock and oak seedling recruitment? What effect will that have on your forests in another hundred years? You may not care, but the Michigan DNR has to care. It's their job.

My guess is that increased tourism and wolf hunting will do a lot to increase the economics of the region, though perhaps not the coffers of the MI DNR specifically. In any event, study up on your trees and how they are doing. Here in Iowa, we have 30 yr old oaks that are only 6" tall because they get nipped to the ground every year. On my own property, there are no sapling or young oaks at all. Zero. Deer are the reason. My forest will turn to sugar maple which is pretty, but does not support many deer, few turkeys and fewer still squirrels. Game will eventually decline.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.