A few years ago, in March, I was tracking a very large wolf on snowshoes. He kept out of sight, but his tracks indicated I stopped him at one point with a call. I finally had to quit tracking as he went into a very thick tangle that didn't permit me to go there on snowshoes.

There was a fresh fall of snow about 2-3" deep over a hard crust. Under the crust was another 2 to 3 ft of snow. Mostly he walked on top of the crust, but would break through occasionally. I took off my snowshoes and found I too could walk on the crust, and break through once in a while.

I measured his walking stride from right front to left rear, and it was well over six feet! He was a lone wolf, that I never caught up with. But I estimated his weight at 150 lbs.

Last March I came across two wolves, a large one and a smaller, darker one, in that same general area, but they were just a bit TOO friendly. Both were collared and wearing transmitters. They had been penned and released. I tracked them for a bit but decided to leave them alone. I had a license and a rifle with me. I enjoy wolf hunting in the Haliburton Highlands during the winter months. In that area, however, you must have a license. Otherwise, I could hunt them year round on a small game ticket.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus