As a Canuck, I just don't understand the scorn heaped on the French, or their soldiers.

As a history teacher, it's always been my understanding that in the American Revolution, that the outcome was teetering back and forth between Britain and the Colonists until the arrival of the French.

Yet today, so many Americans seem so ungratefull and seem to take so much delight in belittling the French, directing heaps of scorn towards the French and never passing an oportunity to make jokes at the expense of the French. As a Canadian, I just don't understand it.

Would an American please explain the negative feelings towards the French, what brought them about, and why the French seem to be always on the receiving end of so much American scorn and the butt of so many American jokes. Cause with friends like that.......

Yesterday, I watched an American produced television show on the French Foreign Legion and it was very complimentary of it's view of the French armed forces - and man, those guys serving in it were tough! They also seemed to me to be well trained, and absolutely fanatically loyal to France and the French cause. They seemed to be absolutely the last group you'd want to fight against - when the going got really tough. They even entered the corps knowing ahead of time they faced a 10% mortality rate - per tour! The Legion seemed to fight in places where no one else wanted to dare go. Talk about fearless soldiers!

Can some one help me understand?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."