While I can't and won't try to explain away the scorn, other than the by saying that France is a great power of the day before yesterday and somewhat irrelevant as a great world power today, when speaking of the American Revolution one must keep in mind that France didn't aid the colonies in rebellion out of any great sense of altruism but rather to inflict damage on Britain's military forces in another theater. France was less an ally of the colonies than an emeny of Britain and the fact that French aid assisted the colonies achive victory in their fight for independence was less important to the French than the fact that the British were dealt a blow militarily. France no more supported the rebellion than Great Britain did and only used it as a pretext to attack it's european rival on another front. While any assistance France provided the colonies was greatly appreciated, and may well have tipped the balance in the rebellion, kindly don't confuse an attempt by France to further her own national interests with altruistic support of the colonies in rebellion.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind