Here's a thought. If you were setting out to build a rifle as good as it could be built, with the expectation that it could be the last one you ever had, and wanted it to handle any big game hunting you might do in North America, what would it be? CRF or not? Lightweight or anvil weight? All of us want a rifle that weighs a pound or less, shoots to point of aim out to infinity, and kicks like a bull-barreled .22LR, but if you were to have only one rifle for the rest of your days, what would you need? Super reliable, supremely sturdy, and as accurate as possible are my criteria.

I have gotten the old idea of "beware the man with one gun" in my head, and can't get it out. Figured I'd share the misery and let you guys twist your minds up trying to come up with the perfect all-around rifle, too. Right now, I am leaning toward a CRF action, with sporter weight barrel, synthetic stock, iron sights and fixed power scope. I want reliability first, shootability a close second, and the sturdiest setup I can build. Weight comes dead last, behind accuracy, which needs to be 1.5moa or less. I'd still like to keep the weight under 8.5 lbs. all up, if possible. What would you do? Caliber, action, barrel, stock, scope? What's your idea of the ultimate all-around hunting rifle for this continent?