Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Have you guys noticed any advantage from one to another? I use nothing but .270 win and debate with my buddies that have '06s all the time.

Extremes notwithstanding, like the 30-06's ability to use 200TSX's or 200+ NP's, I think it is completely a mental exercise.

For open field deer and other long range stuff, the 270 shoots a bit flatter. But for either you still need to know how far it is, and know where to hold. That flatter trajectory with the 270 does give you a bit more margin for error if you don't use a rangefinder and some sort of aiming device like dots in a scope.

For larger stuff like moose and elk, I am more comfortable with the larger bore of the 30-06. But I know the 270 will do the job too. A good friend of mine uses my handloads in his 270 year after year to take moose. He rips a 150 Hornady through the ribs and watches them topple over.

Truthfully, the 30-06 makes me more comfortable due to the large population of grizzlies that live in this part of BC. Even the farm I hunt each fall for deer has a large sow (with two 2-year old cubs last year) that live in the woods and silos there. For those, especially three of those, larger is better.

Either way, pick the one that blows your hair back. Pick a good bullet and as a shady character on here sez, "Go forth and fill up an ark!"

Last edited by RickF; 03/21/10.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.