TOAD

My barrel is 24"
(...and I have given serious thought chopping 3" off)

It is a Pac-Nor. I was recently told here on the fire in an unrelated discussion, that the lapped and polished barrels will often give us a free 100 fps. I believe this could be part of the reason I am getting such good velocities. When I first started loading I noticed that I was a bit ahead of other 358-WSM numbers, but always attributed it to the H-4895 under those 225's.

I will say that with 250's 2800 fps is probably the realistic velocity ceiling.

ALSO, allow me to back up a step and say that every bullet and every bullet weight responds differently with different powders.
I previously stated that powders in that burn rate area which are near 4350, 4895, RL 15, and the like are too slow on the chart to give best velocities in the 358-WSM, "with 225's." I have tried them.
Again for them, H-4895 is "THE" powder.

As for the 250 grain bullets, they 'might' respond differently to RL 17. (Notice the numbers Bryce posted)

He shows 75 grains of RL 17 pushing 250 at a respectable clip. Now, I dropped 75 grains onto the scale last night and if I charge the case through a 12" drop tube it still requires me to compress the load with 250's and a 2.925" C.O.L.

Although I have not had a chance yet (maybe tomorrow I can report), I am expecting 62-63 grains of H-4895 to give me excellent accuracy and acceptable pressures. With 63 grains, I expect to be knocking on the door of 2800fps.

Personally, I would accept any 250 grain numbers in the 2700's fps. as long as I had the accuracy.

Remember - A bullet of a B.C. above .400, when zeroed at 200 yards will only show one inch differance in tradjectory at point of impact when it reaches 300 yards, when velocity is 200 fps slower/faster.

In other words, 100 fps will only allow me 1/2" flatter tradjectory at 300 yards with a 250 gr. Partition.

100 fps. give or take doesn't excite me much with bullets of this weight and caliber.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)