As a 338MX owner, I'm getting a little sick of hearing how "useless" the new Marlin Express rifles are. Bolt users will bash them w/o considering what a blessing these rifles are to left handed shooters. And lever users are often even worse at times.

I think one of the biggest barriers to new calibers becoming established is most lever users seem to think there's no need, and usually refer to a dead cartridge that the new cartridge is similar too in order to make their point.

So they create a self fulfilling prophecy as they discourage one person after another to try the new rifle. And often this is done by people who have never bothered to shoot the new caliber / rifle, so they in reality, are basing their opinion on nothing but a ill formed prejudice against "something new".

My 338MX has garnered interest at the range when I've broke it out and I'm willing to let others shoot it. You should see the smiles it gets when someone gives it a try. I'm directly responsible for 3 other people who are now trying to find a 338MX to buy.

So here's an idea. Find someone with one of these and try shooting one.

People that own these tend to love 'em. You'll always find someone that won't like it, but the vast majority that actually bought one of these think Marlin has a winner, and these are people who have shot and own other levers in other calibers.

One other thing that seems to get ignored in this bashing is that ALL new calibers start out with the gun and ammo only being available from one source. When other companies see they'll sell, they start jumping in.

Think the Marlin Express might be n exception and only be proprietary to Marlin? Mossberg, Henry, and Rossi all came out recently with levers employing an enclosed round bolt similar to the 336 mechanism. So they've laid the groundwork to allow them to build rifles in chamberings like the 308 Marlin Express if they feel there's a market for them.

Last edited by quietman; 05/04/10.