We often fish small streams for huge silver salmon in very tight cover with huge flies. We often live and die by the roll cast in tight spots. I often find myself in the position of showing numbers of folks how to roll a weighted size 2 around a log and into a tea cup.

It ain't no place for a 2wt. I would be willing to bet Blacktail knows exactly the sort of place I am speaking of and has probably spent a lot of time doing the same thing. Others here have done it with me. It is light years more difficult than an ordinary roll cast.

I also do a lot of roll casting with light rods, but here is what I have found... Start with a Wulf triangle taper... It is not WF or even DT in profile, but far more gentle in the taper. It allows casting at any distance. A DT is generally considered a better roll castig line than a WF.

If someone thinks they need to overline for roll casting there is a basic disconnect at work. (sorry Sean wink ) The best way to fix the disconnect is to learn to roll... In tight places and very short roll casts the extra weight may seem to make it easier, but in reality you are trading ease of getting the line moving for reduced accuracy.

Watch Riley gently roll cast 60' time after time after time and it will remind you of the Winston Churchill line "To shoot a good game of pool shows a well-rounded youth; to shoot too good a game of pool shows a misspent youth." Then watch him cast long with a roll...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.