"Comments or thoughts on my craziness?"

Well, I'd have kept the .280 and bought the 7x57 too. grin
Seriously, I curently have three rifle in 7x57 including the Winchester featherweight. One is a J.C. Higgins M50 FN Mauser rebarreled to 7x57, the next a Ruger #1A that I had to send back to Ruger because of a very bad barrel. They did fix it though. cool Then there is the featherweight.
Well, the Ruger with the new barrel is one I haven't done much with other that test fire it. Accuracy was in the 1.25" ramge with Winchester 145 gr. Power Points. I reserve that ammo for testing a new rifle or for the mauser which is a .75" gun with that ammo. It's even better with my handloads, but since I got the Featherweight, well the other two seem to be in semi-retirement. There is something about that rifle that that is almost like a marriage between man and rifle. When I got it, it didn't shoot worth a damn regardles of what I ran through it. The barrel fouled badly which didn't help. After spending the money for a professional glass bedding and trigger job it still shot lousy. About the only thing I hadnt tried was changing the scope. After all, brand new scopes should work, right? Well, this one didn't as I found out after changing it to another. I sent it back to leupold and it was replaced within a week. Damn fine service.
Well, now with the test ammo, the 145 gr. Power points, groups ran right at one inch. That was more like it. I worked up a fairly stiff load with 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips that consistantly shoot into .75" when I do my part. The long discontinued Sierra 170 gr. round nose bullets were the eal surprise. I was getting goups in the .375" to .50" range. I sure wish Sierra would at least make a few more. I'd buy at least 500 for myself. grin I recently made a buy of 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams to try in the rifle but haven't gotten around to loading any yet. The only bullet that has not shot worth a damn in the Featherweight, or the other two rifles plus my .280 Rem. are some 150 gr. Winchester Power Point bulk bullets I bought. There is such a radical difference in weight from bullet to bullet that I can't see accuracy ever being decent with them. The variation is something like plus or minus 1.5 gr. from the nominal value.
So what do I think of the Featherweight? Well, I bought another one in .257 Roberts that is a decent shooter and I picked up a long action Featherweight stock that I mounted a 1968 era M70 in .243 Win. that gives that rifle a whole new feel. It shows promise but I do belive it's going to need a bit a bedding work before it shoots to it's full potential.
Now if I can find one in .280 Rem.????????????????
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE