Originally Posted by Timberline

Comments or thoughts on my craziness?

I've made so many moves like this that I would be the last to criticize it....it sounds like you are delighted with the swap and the desire for a new rifle to play with is irresistible sometimes...and I'm happy the deal worked out for you and Redneck...enjoy your 7x57!

That said,for a variety of reasons,I would not have done it....IIRC 45-47 gr 4064 gives a 140 gr bullet about 2700-2800 from a 280,which by any definition is a 7x57 in every essential way...second, the 280 was a proven field performer,not to be trifled with...

Here's a quote I frequently remember when I am overcome by fits of "Rifle Tradeitis".....in speaking of the 270,280,7x57,and 284 a wise gunwriter from another generation said....."if a man owns one of these rifles-any one of them-I certainly don't recommend he spend a plugged nickel getting one of the other calibers.....the differences are infintesimal.....".Further,he states you could use these 4 the rest of your life,and .."have the devils own time telling the difference".Bob Chatfield -Taylor; "Reflections on the 7mm Calibers";Handloader's Digest.

I agree! smile

But enjoy the 7x57 grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.