Shrike, hatracked and recurve make good points.<P>I have been bowhunting for many years and knew I wouldn't regret paying for the Mathews. If you are right handed, there are used bows to be had. You won't regret getting a good one, one which can be tuned well. Again, this is where a good tackle shop comes into play.<P>If you can or want to front the cash, I think you won't regret the Mathews. But there are others out there, and you can resell anything you don't like.<P>As to recurves, be advised that there should be quite a bit of romantic benefit to be gained before you opt against modern bows. Recurves and longbows are much more difficult to master. They are much more difficult to shoot game with, as they offer the same draw weight at full draw, and full draw is where your game will often hang up on you, or step behind a bush, etc.<P>If you are the kind of guy who really likes recurves or longbows, by all means go for it. <P>If you are not, the reality of their disadvantages will rapidly erody your hunting/shooting experience. It is not difficult to buy a well-set-up cam bow and shoot well enough to kill at 20 yards very quickly (read days or a couple weeks, depending on your physical condition). I mean well enough to keep all your arrows well within a pie plate.<P>Don't get me wrong, bowhunting demands great discilpline when it comes to avoiding out-of-range shots. You must know how far out you can hit the vital area, no matter what you shoot. What I'm saying is that this skill will take longer to perfect with more traditional equipment.<P>I tried instinctive shooting with my compound and never learned to hit well. I reinstalled my pin sights.<P>Several years after my old bow got broken, I helped a friend pick out a hunting bow. He got pin sights and a release. He is right handed.<P>After not shooting for years, and using his new bow right handed (I shoot left handed), I was able to shoot all my arrows into a 4 inch group at about 15 yards. I am trying to illustrate the comparitive degrees of difficulty here, which should be obvious because noone would brag about that feat!<P>All of my bowshots at game have been at less than 20 yards.<P>So do whatever zings your string. It is very rewarding to see and take game up close with a bow!<P>Good shooting, Talus