Originally Posted by Prwlr
According to Hodgdon you can reduce the load to 60% of max for any bullet where H4895 is listed as appropriate. Their online manual lists 46.7gr H4895 with a 175 Sierra as max load. This would translate to a reduced starting load of about 28 gr of H4895. I think this would translate to about 1700-1800 fps. I bet about 30 to 32gr of H4895 with a 170 gr FP would be about right. See if you can get someone to chronograph your loads. Good idea to load down, effective and minimal recoil. Good luck with your loads.

problem is, if anyone has worked with these Hodgdon Reduced loads with H 4895, they will quickly find that they give quite a muzzle blast ( compared to other powders) and their accuracy is nothing to write home about..

I really think that Hodgdon promotes them, because ADI has given them tons of load data that they worked up and tested in Australia...this is the only explanation I can come up with, when they push H 4895 at the same time selling a whole bunch of other powders that are better suited for the job, and are much more consistently accurate and don't come with the ridiculous Muzzle blast...which tends to intimidate younger new shooters and women...defeating the purpose..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez