Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Brown Precision claims that their stocks have a little bit of flex and that soaks up recoil, and in my experience that is true. I�ve fired the same rifles - .30-06, .308 and .243, in wooden Remington BDL stocks and then the Brown classic, and the same rifle, same load, gives less subjective recoil in the much lighter Brown stock.

Certainly the shape of the stock could contribute to that and it would be almost impossible to attribute a given percentage of the reduction to the material or the shape, but this is something I�ve definitely noticed for whatever reason.

I agree with Jim and AGW on the Brown, and some others.Have an 8 pound 375 that is really not bad at all to shoot with its' Brown Precision stock;and have had the Browns on 300's and 338's. There seems to be something to this "flexing"business,even if slight.

Wood OTOH seems somewhat morerigid, transmits more punch to the body.

I have had this half-assed theory that,in some respects,a heavy wooden is harder to get it started to the rear,but once it does, its' momentum is also harder to stop....your body does the job,soaks the momentum.Design is important here.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.