Even if a plastic stocks did absorb recoil as stated by some of those that pimp the plastic, take into consideration that the plastic stock is lighter, so it would offset any difference in recoil..I don't believe there is anymore give in a plastic stock than a wood stock, they both flex at the magazine box, but that in itself has no effect on recoil IMO....

What effects recoil is weight of stock, length of stock, drope at heel and comb, in other words the sole factors are weight,fit, and design.

EDIT: Additionally I don't believe recoil pads effect felt recoil very much at all..What they do is keep the recoil from hurting the shoulder of those that tend to hold a gun loosly..I have metal butt plates on several big bores and if you pull the gun in to your shoulder tight with the trigger hand and get a grip on the forend and pull everything back the recoil will not hurt your shoulder unless your on the bone and not in the shoulder cleft..

The infamous and ultra talented gunsmith Jack Belk once told me that a recoil pad only accomplishe one thing, and that was to give the gun a one inch running start at your shoulder, but he allowed that they were great for standing guns up in the corners of your house..I pretty well agree with jack on the subject.:) smile

Last edited by atkinsonhunting; 09/22/10.