I hunt flats and low rolling hills all the time. I have learned that big muley bucks love cholla flats. The only problem is that they are for the most part flat. In that case, I have looked for any slope that would give me height and elevation and glassed any openings I could or any other places I could see more than just the cholla. Many times I have driven a road, cut a track, and got on top of my truck to glass. Its not pretty or safe I am sure, but it gets the job done when hills to glass from are limited.
Distance is distance. 1/3 of a mile to 1/2 mile is say 600 to 800 yards just to round numbers. That stuff can be glassed. If its open you can glass it a little faster, if its thick, you have to move really slow almost to a crawl. Its painfully slow, but when you can barely see in, it necessary.
Angles play a big part too. Sometimes getting lower or higher on the hill exposed more glassable area. Sometimes glassing down a little gully as opposed to glassing across the gully can open more glassing area. In these situations and most of the times I glass flats or small areas, I stand up and glass. I stand in front of some brush and glass because I know moving might be needed to get better angles and to be able to glass more into the brush and since elevation is limited the extra 5 feet or so helps.

As much as I like sitting and glassing an area all morning, evening or all day, in your situation I would move around just so you can glass as much as you can and not be limited in visability. However if you know there is game where you are at, why move? I can see moving say up to a 100 yards to try and get a better view, but if you know the game you are after is there, be patient and stay still. If you are going in blind, moving around the first day might be a good idea just to possibly locate better glassing points and to locate game. Then the following day you can stay sitting in certain spots and be patient.

Tripods I am really starting to like the Vortex tripods. The Pro GT I have was around $100 bucks I think, kinda heavy but I like it very much. A velbon is hard to beat.

Hope this helps,
Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1