It was mentioned Ken Waters wrote the Pet Loads article on the 358 Winchester for the July 1969 issue of Handloader. If you will look at other Pet Loads articles from this era and competing reloading articles from the same era you will find them quite similar.
I remember the high regard riflemen of the 1960�s had for the Mannlicher rifles. I was a senior in High School when I read the 358 Winchester Pet Loads article and I remember my disappointment at Ken�s troubles with this rifle.

If you read the Pet Loads series chronologically, starting with Shooting Times magazine from the 1960�s you will see Ken Waters hand loading tools, accessibility to a chronograph, testing and data reporting methods mature. Ken Walters�s ability to communicate his thoughts and results matured as well.
To put my thoughts in perspective read the original Pets loads article on the 30-30WCF from the July 1966 issue of Hand loader (Issue No. 2) and compare it with the Pet Loads Update on the 30-30 from the March 1977 issue. The Update is a far more in-depth article reporting on the use of more component bullets, powders and several different rifles.
The December 1996 update to the 30-30 Pet Loads series is an excellent article with new thoughts on loading the cartridge for modern rifles. This is pone of the better articles written on hand loading the 30-30 cartridge for lever-action rifles.

I can think of other cartridges which benefited from time and �updating,� the 7-30 Waters is another cartridge which expanded our knowledge of the cartridge and its hand loading possibilities with each update.

Your specific complaint is with the original 358 Winchester article but you do not mention the 358 Winchester Update from the September 1992 issue of Handloader. The 358 Update article covers more appropriate bullets of modern design and devotes more attention to the cartridge and its loading possibilities.

For the astute reader there is a great deal of information presented in each installment of the Pet Loads articles, even if you don�t have an interest in the specific cartridge.

Last edited by william_iorg; 10/26/10.

Slim