Just food for thought. These hoists are basically for skinning when trees are not nearby. There is absolutely no need for a second winch to get the animal from the hitch into the truck. You just rest the front of the deer on the tailgate and lower the hoist, pull animal in a little further and lower etc etc, Cost of steel for mine...... under $80.00. To weld it up. 30 minutes and a few venison steaks. The thing will last forever and mine has skinned at least 20 deer, 4 bears, 11 antelope. Right out in the field so the meat cools quickly which is especially important with lopes.I know that a lot of easterners do things different which is fine but out west we like to get the hide off right now.

Not trying to be arguementative but in your situation it may not be needed at all. Where I hunt deer I absolutely need it because skinning on the ground is dirty and slow. And who wants to drive all the way home to the apple tree and miss out on the whole weekend with friends/family? Not me.

On my Antelope trip this year we skinned and quarterd the animals as soon as we shot them and got them cooled right away. this makes for excellent steaks.

I tell you what, you have one of these things built and you'll love it. I guarantee it.

Just an fyi, mine seperates in the middle for transport. As far as carrying it around all season. Well, it doesn't take up an room so I cant see why that'd be an issue.

Note the lack of trees. LOL

On the deer picture above I quartered the deer on the hoist and boned out the backstraps and trim as I went. Takes about 30 minutes and saves a bunch on butcher fees. Then the deer is taken care of and I can continue on with my weekend with my family rather than quit and go home.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yotechaser; 10/29/10.