Originally Posted by WGM
DJ ... Remington is NOT responsible for supplying you a trigger with a pull weight of your satisfaction ... they are, however, responsible for having the rifle set up in such a manner that, w/out any adjustment out of the box, should function as it was designed to ...

Granted, that might mean a 7# trigger, but if that's what it takes to pass the function tests - and that's how it's set from the factory - then Remington has done their job. Whether or not you consider the trigger to be a "good trigger" is a completely different story, and has nothing to do with Remington's culpability.

That said, you mention above that the triggers were set to 3# ... Is this something you verified with a pull weight gauge on the triggers as they were set by Remington, straight out of the box? And they were ALL exactly set to 3#? Or did you (or someone else) adjust the triggers to 3# and THEN perform your function tests?

The sear reset test I did were again with the old model triggers - I haven't tried it yet with the newer model, and they were with off the shelf unmodified in any way triggers. More than half of them failed the simple test straight from the factory, unmodified in any way and at whatever trigger weight they came at (I didn't test the weight).

As far as triggers with 2-3lb weight go I have a Lyman digital trigger guage and I usually use the average of 5-10 pulls to measure pull weight. I've worked with double digits of Old model remington triggers to base my opinions on i.e. more than 10 less than 100 - I forget the exact count.

The new trigger might fare better OTB, that's why I try and specifically mention that they were older model triggers, however since they still don't block the striker like M-70 r M-77 triggers I still consider the design inferior. I consider Sako M-75 and M-85 triggers far superior not only because they have much better quality control but also because they are more difficult to screw up by normal bubba's than the older model 700 triggers were. I always specify the older M-700 triggers because I haven't worked with one of the newer ones yet. I hope that I'm being fair and accurate......................................dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................