The Republicans can win in California if they could run decent candidates. In the legislature, because of term limits, and district gerrymandering, generally the most leftist politician wins the primary for the Dems, and the candidate furthest to the right wins the primary for the Repubs. Often, the conservative viewpoint doesn't play with the socially libertarian undercurrent in the state, and people will vote against financial self-interest.

The Republicans have repeatedly run a series of wealthy candidates, without experience, who treat the race as personal playground... Huffington, Whitman, some guy who owned an airline... the list goes on and on, but they keep doing the same thing. Reagan won here, Deukmajian won here, Wilson won here,, Even if you view Schwarzenegger as a RINO, he won here.. twice, because of name recognition, and his efforts to get both sides on the same page.

Whitman was a colossal F-up. She screwed herself with the illegal Nanny, not voting for decades, and her flip-flopping. She ran a piss-poor campaign, and had no message, other than "let's treat California like we're running a business." Except even the dumbest voter knows, deep down, Government isn't a business.

I really was disappointed with Boxer/Fiorina. I'm not a big Carly fan, but I was hoping someone would finally be able to toss the bucket of water on the witch. Didn't happen.....

Murphy was an optimist.