Only about 1/2 of 1% of Germans hunt, and they are generally among the wealthiest people in a wealthy nation. The same applies to many other European countries. While many Americans are willing to buy $3000 hunting rifles, a far higher percentage of Germans are willing to do so. It's just the way things are in their culture.

I suspect, however, that many Germans would consider the many "custom" rifles sold in America that are essentially Remington 700's with an aftermarket barrel and synthetic stock to be very puzzling--especially when many cost well over $3000.

In general German rifles are a steal for the price. I have a Heym SR21 .300 Winchester that is as accurate as just the average $5000 Rem. 700 "custom," and far more sophisticated mechanically. It also has a very nice walnut stock, as well-made as many custom-made American stocks. The rifle retails for a little over $2000, but since it would draw blank stares in American hunting camps, SR21's aren't all that popular over here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck