Originally Posted by joecool544
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Your new Marlin 270 may punch a 'yote a 300 yds...

but with out a very solid rest...a very good turret scope...

a good range finder....spotter....loads dialed to the scope

.....and of course a target @ 1K yds that stays put...

then a rifle set up to shoot 1K yds...your Marlin is best kept

to more reasonable ranges...the only way I could hit an adult

sized coyote @ 1K yds is if my 18# 260 AI was on my portable

table with my 6500 Tactical dialed to that yardage..and he

stood still for 2 seconds... laugh

Not to toot my own horn here, but I do a lot of long-range coyote shooting with nothing more than a Tikka T3 in .25-06 and a Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x40 scope shooting 100gr MK's and 115gr Berger VLD's. My longest cold-bore kill on a coyote so far with this rig on a solid rest was 942 yards.

Not to bust your bubble but didn't you try to duplicate that 942 yard shot on that dead yote and didn't come within 3 foot of it or something like that?

To be proficient at long range shooting you need to be able to duplicate your shots.

Ummmm, nope. I'm not sure where you're getting that?? I did shoot at a completely separate coyote that was farther out, in a completely different location than the first coyote. They were separated by some elevation change and a big clump of brush. I couldn't get an accurate range reading on that second 'yote, so I don't know exactly how far he was from the first one. He was at least 40-50 yards farther, but it could very well have been 200 yards. At that range it's really hard to tell the difference between 100 yards more or less using a 9x optic. Even if I had "mis-guessed" the range by 30 yards, that would throw my POI off enough to miss. This was simply a "hail mary" shot, nothing more. It was hardly a duplication of the first shot.

I agree with you, though, you need to be able to duplicate your shots. And I can with my rig wink