There are tricks to making the HiPower work. First off, the twist rate is 1-12" in the old Savages which is on the ragged edge for stabilizing the last .227 readily available bullet- the Hornady 70gr. spire point. The original factory loading used a semi-pointed spitzer similar to the bullet used in today's Norma stuff. It was .1" shorter than the modern Hornady and stabilized just fine in the 1-12" twist. The long discontinued Sisk and the more recently discontinued Speer 70 grainers are also short enough, but rare as hell anymore. The solution? Trim the Hornady's (I made a file trim die to accomplish that), shoot nothing but Norma or S&B factory ammo, or switch to .224 bullets of a short enough length (necessitating a change in expander ball in the sizer die). Doing that will provide good accuracy. I routinely get 1 1/2- 1 3/4MOA accuracy out of a 1912-vintage 1899 Savage, tang sights, with enough lucky groups that would prompt some Internet Cowboys to claim it as a MOA gun.

As far as useless: anybody who agrees that a properly placed .223 bullet is sufficient for deer hunting would have to agree that the HiPower is too. It's nearly identical in velocity with 70gr. bullets. Enough deer-size game has been killed with it in the past (and present) to make a mockery of the statement that it's useless. Loaded with lighter bullets it's a virtual twin to the .219 Zipper, one of the most venerated varmint rounds of it's day.

Once again this article is another case of mis-information spread in the guise of "research". Anybody who wants some real-world advice on making this cartridge work, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/09/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty