For years, my basic deer hunting load used a 165 Ballistic Tip pushed by 62.0 grains of Reloder 22. It was very consistent and gave the best overall accuracy out of my rifle (a Remington 700 Stainless Mountain Rifle). I'd still recommend Reloder 22 for anyone loading a bolt action .30-06 with a 165-grain or 180-grain bullet. Pressures are mild but velocity is up there with all the classic powders.

When I switched to the 168-grain Tripleshock, I decided to try some more exotic powder, and went with Vihtavuori N560. I've never looked back. Its burning rate is very similar to Reloder 22, but it seems to give even higher velocities and burn very cleanly.

I now load a full 64.0 grains of N560 behind a 168 Tripleshock (or 165 Ballistic Tip), and I can put the first three shots into one inch at 200 metres (before the pencil barrel heats up and starts walking). Velocities are off the charts for me. My rifle has a very slow barrel. I've never been able to push a 165 much above 2,800, even with max charges of IMR 4350. However, with my N560 loads, I'm pushing 3,000 feet per second, and the pressures are moderate. I know of a large (300 pound plus) British Columbia Muley buck who is NOT a fan of this load!

In my opinion, this combination is close to ideal for all North American hunting.