Bought mine in 1981 at Mills Fleet and Farm in MN, for $219.
Super accurate... killed the largest buck I ever took with one at about 340 lbs or so on the hoof south of International Falls MN.

After I started handloading, I pretty much use the Hornady 300 grain XTP in mine....

For off season playing with it, by loading any 44 Rem Mag load in a 444 case, will equal the same MV in the Marlin as listed for a 44 Mag with an 8 inch barrel...low recoil also..

Trail Boss and 180 and 200 grain XTPs, give an MV from 800 to 1100 fps, depending upon charge...with very minimal recoil.. but those XTPs still put big holes in stuff, and that XTP also still can blow a sapling tree in half, which excites the heck out of a 12 to 14 yr old when you let them shoot it.

I use mine for 150 yds and under... and SR 4759 is pretty much my GoTo powder... sure I can pump it up more, but the Hornady bullet don't need the extra velocity at that distance, and also substantially reducing recoil, makes it even more enjoyable to shoot. Lack of any aerodynamics in those FN bullets, surprisingly gives up very little point blank range when you slow it down... they shed velocity exceedingly fast otherwise..

With this 444 I never saw the need for a 45/70...

Tried that new 225 gr Hornady FTX meant for the 44 Rem Mag, with a charge of 30 grains of SR 4759...within 150 yds, that is a very very effective new bullet for the 444....

however if I need to load it up bear or elk in timber or tight quarters.. the 300 grain XTP is still what I go back to..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez