Guys,

I'm hoping to spend a summer in AK in a few years with my family. (objective is to get there in early June and stay through early August).

This plan is still in its infancy, but I'd like to do a good bit of hunting while up there. Species still TBD, based on season and, of course, budget....

I'd like to bring a single rifle for most of my hunting. Question is.... should that be a 358 Win or 45-70? I'd make either be stainless, for certain.

is the 358 Win in BLR ample for all game in AK like I assume, or do I need to destroy a shoulder with a 45-70. As you may guess, I'm leaning towards the 358 win, but dont wanna end up feeling undergunned on the outside chance I get a chance to hunt something as big as a brown bear (the seasons and budget may rule this option out anyhow....).

Final item: I've never owned a BLR, so I'm not that familiar with their workings. Are they sufficiently reliable for AK conditions? Of particular concern is the inner-workings and corrosion resistance. I certainly dont intend to swamp the thing in salt spray, but I figure it's a question worth asking.

Any feedback you offer will be well recieved. Thanks in advance.

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell