FOsteology, I will try the best I can but there are a lot of variables involved. Are you shooting full frame or APS-C. With APS-C you get the benefit of narrowing your angle of view and have roughly a 540mm with your 100-400mm. With another lens you will have an 800mm roughly. Another variable is where your trip is at in Africa and is it with a photography tour or general tour? On a photography tour the vehicles you will travel in are designed to shoot through a stand up roof. Plus on photo trips they will turn off the engine to reduce vibration also. A tripod or monopod probably is not a possibility but a bean bag may be.
This is the trip of a lifetime possibly so taking the right equipment is obviously important. I obviously have seen and used the Tamron. I have seen images from the 150-500mm, they are good. I have not seen the 50-500mm however. On a photo specific trip non VC (VR) would probably be fine, but I would not recommend missing a shot because of movement. I can't honestly imagine the Sigma lenses being optically better but if the security of knowing you can get the shot is there, I would recommend the 150-500mm. A cost saving alternative could also be to get a 1.4x tele-converter for the 100-400mm.
I hope this has helped a little bit. Camera Land offers several versions of the 1.4x tele converter starting as low as $229. You will lose only a stop of light with the converter which is only a half stop at the maximum range vs. the Sigma. If you have any other questions please let me know. I look forward to some great images from Africa!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.