I bought a boat this year after researching brands for a year and visiting a lot of dealers. My brother's the DEM guy that registers the boats in RI and he also had a lot of input. I fish in Narragansett bay and venture out to prowl the coastline out to about 7 or 8 miles. I set these guidelines.

The boat has to contend with Narragansett Bay conditions, RI Atlantic Coastal area fair conditions, and wakes generated by commercial shipping and recreational boaters.

I wanted space to fish, a soft ride and reasonable fuel economy.

Boat, motor and trailer, I set a price cap of $35,000

Here's what I found (actually went out and looked at) in center consoles

Used 20' Grady Whites and Boston Whalers at least 5 years old. Various trailers

20' Sea Swirl 150 Yamaha 4 stroke Load Rite trailer

20' Parker 150 Yamaha 4 stroke Load Rite trailer

22' Maycraft 150 Honda 4 stroke Caravan trailer

22' Seahunt 150 Yamaha 4 stroke Caravan trailer

21' Sailfish 150 Yamaha 4 stroke Load Rite trailer

20' Caravelle 150 Yamaha 4 stroke Long trailer

20' Polar 150 Yamaha 4 stroke Long trailer

20' Scout Yamaha 150 no trailer

Here is what I learned:

Grady's are a lot of boat, they're expensive and hold their value. Even the 18' was priced out of my reach.

Boston Whalers are small, and a 19' (out of reach) isn't very big. Hull construction with foam inside costs a lot and you get a smaller boat for the money. One though that you can cut in half and stay afloat in.

Sea Swirls are not regarded highly (hear a lot of comparisons to Trophys as light thin hull boats), but cost quite a bit of money. The 20 looked small to me.

Parkers are supposed to be well built boats. The ones I saw had low sides and not a lot of "V" to the bottoms. They looked like they would give an unpleasant ride. I noticed a bigger one like a 26 with a pilot house tied up in the harbor and as the marina traffic went by, it was the only boat bobbing up and down. Sort of confirmed my opinion. They do have a 21 deep "V" I'd have liked to have seen.

Maycraft was no frills, rough fiberglass everywhere. A fiberglass boat with wood stringers and deck and transom laminates. Most inexpensive boat I looked at. A lot of boat for the money. My brother's friend has one a 20' and liked it a lot. Brother said he thought it pounded and I'd not care for it though. They sell a ton of boats to police and fire departments and have a good track record for durability.

Seahunt was also no frills. They look like Grady Whites and have a loyal following here. Boat for boat they are lighter and come with lighter outboards (less power). I rode in a 20 and it did roll and sway a bit crossing wakes but it did not pound. Faster and more fuel efficient hulls, but weight reduction affects ride. I definitely would have gone with the 22', although the dealer said I wouldn't enjoy trailering it.

Sailfish - Bought one. Deepest "V" on market. High sides basically a Seacraft copy. It went 45 with a 150, and I was impressed with the ride. The hull is soft and gentle but it does rock left to right the deep "V" is the culprit. Takes some getting used to. I've fished out of it a year and would recommend the boat. Base boat with a Yamaha 4 stroke 150 was 32K. Very reasonable I thought.

Caravelle are heavy and have a big hull. Saw one for sale at sailfish dealer because owner said it was a dog. They are wood free and are known for going in and out of business. (like robalo)

Polar are mass produced - Aquasport and Wellcraft people. People want a lot of money for a pretty rough boat. The 20 I went on had rough glass in the bilges, fish boxes and battery boxes. It rode well though.

Scout I thought the 20 was small for the money. The one I looked at listed over 40K. I thought the dealer was out of his mind. I saw one man who went on a sea trial buy a 20' sailfish instead which is a bay boat not a deep V. I also heard from a full time on the water tuna fisherman to stay away from the boat that I wouldn't be happy with the ride. I don't know though.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson