Originally Posted by tikka3006
I planning a non trophy elk hunt this fall.
I am told I should get a look at a smaller bull.
I am actually just a meat hunter anyway.

Currently I hunt with a 30 06.
My do all load is a 165g nosler AB.

Problem is I have a 300 wsm that I have not shot yet.
If I did I would start with the H 4350 and a 180g nosler AB.

In my case is there a meaningful difference between 30 06 and 300 wsm under 400 yards?

Would you suggest a different bullet to start with for the 300?
..............Like everyone stated, within 300-400 yards, the killing power differences are negligible.

But for some real enlightment and some fun, I suggest you do the following if you haven`t done so already.

Choose the bullets and bullet weights you are more likely to use on your elk hunt and find out what their BCs are.

Next, log onto the Hornady site and find their external ballistics table. Type in all the info asked for; your approx MV, bullet BC, bullet weight, rifle zero in yardage, temps etc. You can also adjust the downrange increments in yardages. What you want to do, is compare the external downrange #s in velocity, energy and trajectories for the 30-06 vs the 300 WSM.

Although both are capable, doing the above will give you very good and accurate downrange comparisons.

Then pick the one that you feel will best do the job based on your best guess hunting situation. In the more wide open country where longer than 400 yard shots "could" occur, then I`d be more inclined to choose the 300 WSM.

And since you haven`t fired your 300 WSM yet, then get busy!!.. laugh laugh laugh.... Using it as a paper weight or as a dust collector or something???... laugh laugh laugh

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger