Originally Posted by KevinGibson
There's a case where the shooter has too much gun. Very few people can competently shoot a .454 beyond 7 yards. Recoil is severe no matter who you are. And while the Taurus Raging Bull is without a doubt the most accurate production revolver I've ever shot, the grip frame is somewhat less than optimal for a hoss like the .454.

I've shot the Raging Bull in .454 and .480, and I'll take the .480 EVERY TIME; much more fun to shoot and with an LBT LFN bullet, I think it just out-performs the .454 for less recoil.

If the .480 had caught on more I'd have been sorely tempted to get one. I think a lot of people wanting something bigger than the .44 went .454 due to the crossover with the .45LC.

Have you ever shot a .500? My early model X-Frame is very accurate and (when shot by people that can actually handle them and aren't just "hanging on") from what I can tell that seems to be the norm. I'll freely admit that around three cylinders of full-house loads and I'm just about done. I'm sure better men than me can handle more but my accuracy starts falling off after that.

OTOH I've got a Longshot load that with 400gr bullets is right about what the top .454 loads do with that weight bullet that aren't bad at all in that huge revolver.

Anyway it's like those that'll argue a .243 is too small for deer. They're right...if they can't hit what they're aiming at. If that's the case a 30-06 is pretty light too.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.