Originally Posted by rob p
I'm drilling tool steel, and I dull a lot of bits. I bought a drill doctor and can sharpen them right back up again. They drill wood fine, but back to steel, they do nothing but spin. I heat treat in a knife kiln up to 2200 degrees. I wonder if there would be a way to treat, and if necessary, temper the bits so they would cut steel again. I dulled a carbide drilling D2 and never tried another carbide for $40. I would do fine if I could resharpen regular bits and treat them so they would cut again. I wonder if anyone ever tried it.

Sounds like you have two problems, one is damaging the bits, and possibly using the wrong type for the job, and the other is the process of spinning a bit in an incomplete hole work hardens the holy heck out of the material you are trying to cut.

So my advice is to take a small dia abrasive bit aka dremel bit and grind out the face of the area you've work hardened before trying to complete the hole, or you'll just manage to re-damaget the bit. That and get carbide bits in qty, when drilling tough materials, drills are consumables.