Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
If that shot is that low a percentage for you. Then you need a lot more practice. If @ 20 yards or so you can't get a group of six arrows in a 1-1/2" diameter your not very good. Now take the 1-1/2" diameter and place that on the right or left chest cavity and see how much more room you have. You have a lung and major arteries and vessels then liver. My percentage within 25 yards on that shot isn't below 80%. Now add the freak chances (turn right or left and out) and that is a clean miss 80% of the time. Should he duck the shot his throat is sliced wide open. I would play those percentages. They are spades above all those long range rifle percentages.

With all do respect, as you mentioned(we are all very much entitled to our opinion) I disagree a 100 percent. Have you ever seen the deflection of arrows off tiny twigs/sticks??...sometimes this leads to a matter of feet. Had that shot of been to the left, he may have hit that rather HARD bone/cartilage in the chest, resulting in a very much wounded animal.

On two quartering away shots on deer from a ground blind, my arrow has hit this exact bone/cartilage in the chest and it has stopped the arrow nearly dead on the spot. These were with cut on contact broad heads as well, with modern equipment...I guess the point is, if a deer stops the arrow, what would an elk do??..lack of energy results in a lack of penetration on heavy bone or structure.

Now, as you mentioned if the elk DID turn to the left/right on a frontal shot, the "clean miss" would be much lower percentage then the 80% you mentioned...my reasoning being, if you watch the video, as the elk turned to run--what happens when he is hit?? He turns, and reveals a very LARGE hind quarter..pierce that with an arrow/bullet or any other non lethal part of his body and you better strap on some running shoes.

Just my opinion,

MK

MK