My bear pictured above is a long way from being as big as the one that Phil shows, but it was a 14 1/2 year old male brown bear taken on Admiralty Island in SE Alaska in 1987. The hide honestly squared 8 1/2 feet and the skull was 24 1/2 ".

That was before I knew about camera angles that can make a mouse look like a moose, so he looks smaller in the pictures than he really was. I have no idea about his weight...it was a spring hunt and he was a very husky bear according to the guide, the late Karl Lane of Juneau. He saw lots of bears in his career, and said that mine was bigger than most.

The point of this is that the first 200 gr. Partition at about 130 yards penetrated completely broadside and then headed for the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia, as far as I know. The bear turned to run and I hit him again as he quartered away. That bullet broke his right hind leg and then penetrated the paunch and liver and was found under the hide just forward of the diaphragm after about 3 1/2 FEET of penetration. He did make it about 50 yards after the first shot, but after all, he was a grizzly bear, you know.

It looked like a hand grenade had detonated in the lungs from the first shot. The second bullet weighed 135 grains and had a classic mushroom shape with lead still remaining in the front core.

I like Partitions because they give deep penetration while still doing great damage along the way. Bloodshot meat (and other stuff) is exactly what you want on a grizzly.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/11/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...