Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by jwp475

I can't see a 30 cal with a quality bullet as being under gunned. Sorry but they will get the job done with aplomb. A big bore revolver with a proper flat point hard cast has more than enouigh penetration for any angle shot.

DTDT

Something like 360gr FN HC .45 caliber bullet traveling at 1,500fps probably will prenetrate more into a big animal than most 300 WM loadings. But the .454 Casull FN bullet also won't shoot as easily out past 50 yards or so (unless you're really good with a revolver), and certainly won't do as well at taking 200-300yd shots, etc ... It's a trade off.

The .300 mags are very versitile rifles, and can handle brown bear. I can't find it right now, but some of the experienced guides on Alaksa Outdoors Forums said that they had seen a bunch of brownies taken by .30 cals, and they worked, but unlike larger caliber, they had never seen one taken with just one single .30-cal shot--follow-ups were required. I'm not saying that it hasn't happened, but these guides sad they are more ready to take a near-simultaneous shot on a brown bear when a client is shooting at one with a .30 cal.

Maybe they are wrong, but that is their experience and there must be a reason why people make and sometimes use calibers larger than .30".

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first