Not yet hunted in Germany (although I intend to when i get the chance), but one thing I would add is that this ceremony is performed at the end of what I would term a very formal?organised hunt usually a driven hunt, with lots of hunters, beaters and others doing the organising.

That said, from the European hunters I have met in the UK, even on "informal" hunts, where its just a hunter and a guide stalking deer on foot, once the beast is taken, the Europeans still tend to show the highest respect.

From what I've seen, its usually in the form of placing the "last bite" in the animals mouth, plus sometimes the twig on the side of the carcass.

What I have never seen is any whooping and hollering, or "high fives"..The few Europeans I have guided are usually quite solemn/reserved after the shot, and any celebrations usually consist of a smile, a shake of your hand and a simple "Thank You"..

What I particularly like is that the taking of a doe or cull buck is treated with the same respect, as it should be...

Last edited by Pete E; 08/26/11.