A very interesting read. I too am tired of the televised yelling, hopping about, and high fives. I suspect or hope that a good deal of it is scripted, and I'd probably not be invited back if I was the sport on one of their shows.

A tradition of mine on our steelhead steams is that every fly is retired as soon as it lands a fish. Those fish escaped a host of predators, left home, traveled thousands of miles, and a lucky few made it back to their home stream or river. It's a real honor to share a moment or two in their lives. The only frustration is those that break off during the landing process.

On some trips, that can add up to a box or two of flys. Last year, not so many though. With the exception of the last day on an extended trip, the fish get released too. A couple hatchery fish might be retained on the final day, but lately, I've not been too strict with that practice.

This year, the joy is going to be introducing a youngster to the sport. I'd pay big money to see him land 20 fish.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/29/11.

1Minute