Originally Posted by ingwe
I love this stuff and only wish we had more tradition/ceremony, and respect given our game here in the states. And I'm afraid what I see on hunting shows on television are getting us farther and farther away, rather than closer to the respect the game is due...

Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Pete E

What I have never seen is any whooping and hollering, or "high fives"..The few Europeans I have guided are usually quite solemn/reserved after the shot, and any celebrations usually consist of a smile, a shake of your hand and a simple "Thank You"..

What I particularly like is that the taking of a doe or cull buck is treated with the same respect, as it should be...

Exactly.....

In my mind a true hunter will mourn as much as celebrate at the kill....

Another "Exactly" from me.

This has been a great thread. I was aware of the tradition of placing a twig in an animal's mouth but I never heard of the ceremony involving horns and the laying out of game.

I sincerely wish that my hunting buddies had even an inkling of the tradition, ceremony and respect shown by european hunters. Sadly though, they don't have a clue and if I brought the subject up they laugh and ridicule the idea.

I have very mixed emotions when downing a game animal. Celebration, a sense of accomplishment, admiration, respect and mourning for taking an animal's life. I give the animal it's due respect by considering it food and not just a dead carcass that has to dealt with. I give my food "tender loving care" from the time I first take a knife to it till it hits the dinner plate.