Originally Posted by no experience
Ok....you are allowed to have ONE CURRENT made factory rifle the rest of your life. It has to be capable enough for deer and Elk. It has to be Rock solid reliable and it has to be in a standard chambering. (this is an issue a close friend is facing)...

Pick just ONE and tell us how its configured and why you picked it.!

Funny you should ask. I just bought my "rest of my life" rifle last week. It is a Browning BAR ShortTrack in 7mm-08.

I picked this rifle for its versatility, reliability, accuracy and quick follow-up shot capability. Although it is definitely "Elk" capable, it will primarily be used for hunting Deer, Hogs, & Coyotes in central Texas. The 7mm-08 is an awesome caliber with hundreds of 7mm bullet types/weights available ranging from 100-175 grain, and, even though I'll probably never use them, there is also plenty of factory ammo available. The ShortTrack is well balanced, a good bit lighter than the BAR Safari, and handles & points very well. Enhancing the versatility, I have rigged it with Leupold quick release rings and can switch from 3-9x40 Burris Ballisticplex to UltraDot Red Dot sight as needed depending of terrain and game being hunted. I'm planning on having it Mag-Na-Ported to reduce muzzle jump so I can watch bullet impact and remain on target for follow-up shot if needed.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Well.... there you have it.... My perfect rifle.

firstshot
Make your first shot (and all the rest) count!

Make your firstshot count!