The morning of the 8th rolls around and I meet up with rost495 in Eagle River. He brought up some ammo for me for my 45-70 and I gave him some goodies for his trip. I would have liked to have spent a bit more time shooting the bull with him but I had someplace to be. I meet up with my partner and we're headed back to the DCUA for another shot at a ram.

That evening I post 4 rams from camp feeding in some pretty nasty country but hopefully they won't go far. The next morning we ride up the riverbed and I spot the rams so we formulate a game plan and decide to give them a closer look. We had to climb some pretty steep terrain but we got it done and managed to find 3 of the 4 rams, one of which was bedded. None of these were legal but we knew there was a 4th ram somewhere so we snuck a bit closer to the bedded ram hoping the missing ram was close by.

We managed to get within 100 yards of the bedded ram but the 4th ram was nowhere to be seen so we snapped a few pics, stood up and the bedded ram got up (see pics) and trotted around the right side of the mountain. We went to the left to try and find the missing ram but we could not find him until we started walking down from the top. He must have been bedded out of sight and had no idea we were there until the bedded ram got up. I only got a quick glimpse of him before he disappeared out of sight but he looked like he had real good bases. My partner had the spotter but never got a good look at the horns either.

We later learned that 2 other hunters had climbed up the backside of the mountain we were on and shot a ram in some very nasty terrain. I believe it was the missing ram that we never got a good look at.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead